Be Aware of your Video Privacy!
Video Calling Privacy Warning!Posted: Thursday April 2, 2020
There is currently an unprecedented increase in the number of people working remotely around the globe due to COVID-19. This shift has seen an exponential growth in video calling and conferencing. If you, your business and your team are now using video to connect across remote sites, team members and multiple devices, you need to make sure you are doing so securely.
What to watch out for!
The world has seen a massive boom in people using Zoom. However, multiple sources have reported that there are major privacy risks with the Zoom platform…
- The Intercept reported that Zoom video calls are not end-to-end encrypted, despite the company’s claims that they are
- Motherboard reports that Zoom is storing and leaking personal email addresses
- Zoombombing has occurred, where people take advantage of open or unprotected meetings and poor default settings to take over screen-sharing.
- Zoom was shown to be sending data to Facebook about a user’s Zoom habits
- Zoom could be installed without the user’s permission allowing malicious software to be installed to a device.
What do our SCC team recommend?
There are many mainstream video calling apps which enable people to connect including FaceTime and WhatsApp. While secure, these apps have limitations regarding number of callers and screen sharing possibilities. Here are the three software options that our SCC team recommend as safe, secure and reliable alternatives for video calling, conferencing and screen sharing.
WebMeeting is fully integrated into your web client, so you can create and access meetings, collaborate, share your screen and more straight from your browser. More Information
A free Cisco Webex Meetings plan gives you meetings with 100 participants, HD video, screen sharing, and a personal room. More Information
Microsoft Teams is Office 365’s teamwork hub and group chat platform. This is a wonderful solution to users and businesses already using Office 365. More Information
How do I set up remotely?
Our SCC business and Rainmaker Cloud Computing platform are centred around providing remote IT support for our clients.
We have many tools to create successful remote IT solutions for your business. If you need support transferring your business to a remote work-from-home model or need assistance in finding the correct video calling platform for you and your team, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. (04) 4474 2477 or firstname.lastname@example.org